Saturday, September 18, 2010

Abashiri

A long day of travel, about 7 hours all told. I am going from Wakkanai to Abashiri, also on the north coast of Hokkaido but in the middle.  However the train route goes back to Asahikawa, a change of trains, then out again.  Using point-to-point tickets those two journeys alone would have cost me almost as much as the pass.  The pass expires tomorrow so I cannot delay. In any case my whereabouts for the few remaining days are now locked in.


The way to Abashiri was even more dramatic than that to Wakkanai. Whereas the latter goes through mountains, the former goes into mountains. It skirts the north of Daisetsuzan National Park. It goes through temperate forests and along mountain streams. There are many tunnels and snow shelters. It reminded me of parts of New Zealand. It was a cloudy day, conducive to contemplation. The landscape was in shades of green, green, and green. Henrik Gunde chanelling Errol Garner playing Jealousy reminded me that I missed playing music. I really must put more time into the activities I enjoy.


Santana playing Incident At Neshabur brought back the time I joined friends studying at the University Medical Library in the evenings, even though I was not in medicine, because it was uncrowded and quiet.  But the air-conditioning was always set for arctic, so we had to wear jackets. Midway through the study we would go for a tea break.  Studying was hard work, yet I felt happy recalling those times. Perhaps I am the kind to give old memories a patina of contentment. But I know now that it's not worth fretting about the small annoyances in the present, those will fade into insignificance. The happiest time of your life is now. 


Abashiri seems even smaller than Wakkanai, if that's possible. The hotel is just across the street from the station. Internet and breakfast are free, oh goody.

No comments:

Post a Comment