Thursday, September 2, 2010

Off to Hokkaido

In the end, no matter how many well wishes a traveller receives, you have to to face your fears alone and set out. Each trip has its peculiar worries. The main one this time was the language. I had taken a few Japanese courses and could probably make simple requests and understand the replies. I regret not learning to read Hiragana, the main Japanese writing system. I can recognise Kanji which is derived from Chinese and that would give me some clues such as knowing that a place is a park (koen). But to read Japanese you need Hiragana and if there are no Romaji (Latin characters) then I'm illiterate. At least in the Balkans I could recognise the names of places.


A secondary worry was the sparseness of transport links in Hokkaido. You have to plan carefully or you may for example find that the last of only three buses for the day has left. Fortunately with the help of the Internet and translation engines, a lot can be discovered ahead of time. It wasn't easy to plan my itinerary; I had to undergo several iterations. No doubt I will have to modify it on the run.


Japan is an expensive destination, but it has become more affordable for Aussies compared to many years ago. An pleasant surprise was that single hotel rooms in the lower categories aren't as expensive as you might think, about the same level as Australia. Perhaps it's because the lone business traveller is an established species. Perhaps it's because the Japanese love automation particularly in the form of vending machines and there is a large component of self-service at such hotels. Which would probably feel sterile but if you just want a bed for the night, that's ok. And being such a wired country, Internet access is thrown in.


Another convenient aspect is that Japanese hostels usually provide dinner in addition to breakfast, saving one the trouble of looking for a meal. Packed lunches can also be ordered. I get the impression that hostelling is well-organised in Japan. My main concern is how many other hostellers would be competing for the rooms. It was hard to judge. I picked September because it's a narrow window after the summer peak and before the cold descends.


I wasn't sure about the temperatures, so I thought I might need a heavy coat. But looking at recent weather forecasts, it seems that temperatures will be in the low 20s which is almost perfect if it isn't too humid, so a light jacket should do. But in the mountains it will be colder and windier so I have extra layers for those places. I may have to contend with rain so I have an umbrella.


Well, I'm sure it will be ok, I have a good track record. A bit of planning and foreknowledge help reduce the worries. It's just departure nerves. Once I'm in the thick of it, there won't be time to fret.


It's been a week of lasts, lasts before the trip; last film I will watch, last time I will eat there, last trip to the beach. My normal life has been put in hold.


Well, I'm off. My fridge hasn't been this empty for a long time and I can see the bottom of my fruit bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment