Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Otaru

After filling myself up at the buffet breakfast, I boarded the express to Sapporo. I realised as I was leaving the hotel that I had left my cyclist's water bottle in the car the day before. Oh well, never mind, it was a conference freebie, I have another one, and to be honest, because it was aluminium it was heavier and not any better than a plastic bottle of water refilled multiple times during a trip.


The train sped through the industrial outskirts of Kushiro, then through unremarkable farmland. Almost 4 hours later, we were in Sapporo in time for lunch. I had a bit of cash to burn so I went to the food court and bought a couple of boxes, sashimi and salmon roe. Also a bitter chocolate doughnut and a cola. I took my purchases to the plaza outside the train station. The temperatures were ideal, about 24C. The plaza was also pigeon central and many hopefuls strutted close by, hoping for a freebie. Obviously the residents are tolerant of them if they are this bold.


A short train journey found me in Otaru, the closest port to Sapporo, on the west coast. It has had its glory days, when herring was abundant. Nowadays it's a tourist day trip. This canal is what remains of the docks and warehouses. I had decided to do Otaru last because I could catch the airport express directly from Otaru.


It also styles itself as a Japanese Venice because of glassblowing artisans. And I must say some of the pieces I saw were truly lovely. I just don't have the house to do justice to them.


Lots of good eateries in Otaru too.


The hostel comes with a bonus kitten, although it advertises on the website that there are cute dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment